XMM-Newton Science Analysis System
omdetect (omdetect-5.41) [xmmsas_20190531_1155-18.0.0]
The following summarizes the way the program works for IMAGING mode data.
More details of several of the processes mentioned are given later on.
FAST mode data is processed in a simpler fashion- the extended-source
algorithms are not used.
- Load the image
- Load the pixel quality map image
- Create a background image
- Run initial point-source detection algorithm
- Look for “smoke” rings
- Look for scattered-light features, and mask-out the pixels of any that are found.
- Look for largish extended sources
- Look for smaller extended sources
- Look for faint sources
- Compute the photometry of the point-like sources
- Check for faint point-sources near much brighter sources, and delete if necessary.
- If any largish extended sources have been found re-compute the background image
- Compute the photometry of the extended sources
- Check for faint extended-sources near much brighter sources, and delete if necessary.
- Set the source-flags
- Create the source-list file
XMM-Newton SOC/SSC -- 2019-06-02