2.2 Structure and contents of the Users Handbook
This document contains, in the order listed here:
- A concise summary of XMM-Newton's properties and the
instruments onboard (§ 3) and a
description of how to conduct observations with XMM-Newton
- A description of the two-phase
proposal submission and the technical optimisation step
performed for approved XMM-Newton proposals (§ 5).
- A brief description of the data calibration and analysis software
(§ 6), which also introduces the XMM-Newton Science
Analysis Software SAS (§ 6.1) and the XMM-Newton Science Archive
- Additional sources of information on XMM-Newton (§ 7).
- Appendices on the XMM-Newton Survey Science
Centre (SSC; Appendix A) and the XMM-Newton Routine
Calibration Programme (Appendix B).
The information contained in § 3 and § 4
should supply sufficient detail to enable
the reader to prepare the submission of an XMM-Newton observing proposal.
European Space Agency - XMM-Newton Science Operations Centre